A Great War German reinforced concrete Command Post bunker has been preserved by the Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917.
The bunker was built with reinforced concrete in 1916 by the Germans. The men of the labour detail inscribed a concrete plaque which survives on the bunker today.
The bunker was used as a command and observation post for a German regiment in reserve in this sector. In 1916 the Front Lines were approximately 5-6 kilometres to the north-west of this position.
The bunker is 19 metres long. The roof has protective layer of earth nearly two metres deep and channels are cut in the earth to allow the pillbox windows to see over the valley beyond the modern houses.
There are six rooms in the bunker leading off a common passage. The rooms include:
- two rooms: one for the sentries watch post and one for their accommodation
- two rooms: two Staff officers’ work rooms
- two rooms: two Staff officers’ accommodation rooms