Peronne town was occupied by British troops on the 18th March 1917, lost on the 23rd March 1918, and regained on the 1st September 1918.

The 34th Casualty Clearing Station was at La Chapelette in April-July 1917; the 55th for a short time in April, and the 48th in May; the Lucknow from May 1917, to March 1918; the 53rd and the 12th for short periods in September 1918. In the spring of 1918 the Germans made eleven burials in the two cemeteries; three Italian graves of this period have been removed.

There are now 577, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site, 6 of which are unidentified.