Tour Dates 24-27 July 2015
Arrival Day 1 (Orientation to the Belgian Western Front)
- Meet at Dover for a morning ferry or train to Calais. The ferry journey is usually 90 minutes in calm weather, the train is no more than 40 minutes.
- Ride towards Poperinghe, coffee and visit to TocH (tour TBC)
- Visit to Ljissthenhoek Cemetery on the Poperinghe-Ieper Road
- Ride into Ieper (Ypres) for lunch and optional afternoon visit to the In Flanders Fields Museum
- Evening rideout (venue depending on the weather) or attendance at the Last Post Ceremony at the Menin Gate
Day 2 (Passchendaele andNorthern Flanders)
- Morning ride to Passchendaele village and surrounding battlefields, including the Canadian memorial at Vancouver Corner, St Julien, the Harry Patch memorial stone (Langemark). the German cemetery at Langemark and the fields of Flanders mud.
- Ride on to Tyne Cot cemetery and visitor centre. Poppy Cross laying if desired.
- Visit to Essex Farm (Boezinghe), where John McRae wrote “In Flanders Fields”
- Afternoon ride to the Hooge Crater museum, Hill 62 and Railway Wood, Hell-Fire corner and optional visit the Hill 62 museum.
- Free evening in Ypres (Optional ride out) and the Last Post Ceremony.
Day 3 (Southern salient)
- Ride the length of the Messines Ridge mine chain from Hill 60 to Messines. Start with a ride to Hill 60 and a visit to the memorials.
- Visit to the Messines Ridge and Wijstschaete. Visit the Peace garden and trench excavations (if open)
- Visit to Polygon Wood and the southern areas around Ploegsteert and the woods
- Optional afternoon long rideout to Mons and the St Symphorien Cemetery
- Evening group visit to the Last Post Ceremony and group refreshments.
Day 4 (The Road Home)
- Morning visits to key cemeteries and memorials, including the French cemetery near Poelcapelle
- Ride to Calais
- Return ferry at approximately 15:00