Tour Dates 18-22 July 2015
Arrival Day 1 (Orientation to the Western Front)
- Meet at Dover for a morning ferry to Calais. The ferry journey is usually 90 minutes in calm weather.
- Ride towards Poperinghe, coffee and visit to TocH (tour TBC)
- Visit to Ljissthenhoek Cemetery on the Poperinghe-Steenvoorde Road
- Ride into Ieper (Ypres) for lunch and afternoon visit to the In Flanders Fields Museum
- Optional evening rideout (venue depending on the weather) or attendance at the Last Post Ceremony at the Menin Gate
- Morning ride to Passchendaele village and surrounding battlefields, including the Canadian memorial at St Julien, the Harry Patch memorial stone (Langemarck). the German cemetery at Langemarck and the fields of Flanders mud.
- Ride on to Tyne Cot cemetery and visitor centre. Poppy Cross laying if desired
- Afternoon ride to the Hooge Crater museum, Hill 62 and Railway Wood, Hell-Fire corner.
- Ride the length of the Messines Ridge mine chain from Hill 60 to Messines. Start with a ride to Hill 60 and a visit to the memorials.
- Visit to the Messines Ridge and Wijstschaete. Visit the Peace garden and trench excavations (if open)
- Attend The Last Post Ceremony at the Menin Gate
- Ride through Ploegsteert and southern salient and on into France
- Ride to the memorial at Vimy Ridge and the trenches/visitor centre
- Visit the Loos battlefields and Fromelles (time permitting)
- Ride on to Albert and the Somme battlefields, including Thipeval and La Boisselle (The Lochnagar Crater). We take you through the timeline of the battle and visit many of the cemeteries and memorials.
- The Somme battlefields continues…or…optional ride to Verdun (6am start)