Join us for a memorable weekend in Belgium and visit the sites of the battles for Ypres…
Tour Dates 7-9 August 2015
- Meet at Dover/Folkestone (15:00) for an afternoon ferry or train to Calais. The ferry journey is usually 90 minutes in calm weather, the train is no more than 40 minutes
- Ride towards Ypres and a visit to Ljissthenhoek Cemetery on the Poperinghe-Steenvoorde Road
- Ride towards Poperinghe, tea stop and visit to TocH
- Ride into Ieper (Ypres) for an evening exploring the town sites
- Evening rideout (venue depending on the weather) or attendance at the Last Post Ceremony at the Menin Gate
Day 2 (Passchendaele and Northern Flanders) – 23 Miles
- Morning ride to Passchendaele village and surrounding battlefields, including the Canadian memorial at Vancouver Corner, St Julien, the Harry Patch memorial stone (Langemark). the German cemetery at Langemark and the fields of Flanders mud.
- Ride on to Tyne Cot cemetery and visitor centre. Poppy Cross laying if desired.
- Visit to Essex Farm (Boezinghe), where John McRae wrote “In Flanders Fields”
- Afternoon ride to the Hooge Crater museum, Hill 62 and Railway Wood, Hell-Fire corner and optional visit the Hill 62 museum.
- Free evening in Ypres (Optional ride out) and the Last Post Ceremony.
- Ride the length of the Messines Ridge mine chain from Hill 60 to Messines. Start with a ride to Hill 60 and a visit to the memorials.
- Visit to the Messines Ridge and Wijstschaete. Visit the Peace garden and trench excavations (if open)
- Visit to Polygon Wood and the southern areas around Ploegsteert and the woods
- Ride to Calais
- Return ferry at approximately 16:00