Four days on the Somme, 100 years to the very day that the Battle raged. Follow in the footsteps of hundreds of thousands of men, from all sides, who fought and died in this beautiful part of Northern France. This tour is for riders of all experiences and involves visiting sites not accessible by other forms of tour transport. This is a provisional itinerary, subject to weather and the availability of venues on the anniversary dates. Book HERE
- Morning ferry or Eurotunnel from Dover/Folkestone to Calais. Ride to Albert via Arras for a visit to the Carriere Wellington, the Arras Cemetery and Wancourt. On then to Vimy Ridge and the Vimy Canadian Park.
- Afternoon ride to Albert with a stop at Pozieres for tea at Tommy’s if time permits.
- Early evening rideout to visit the German and French cemeteries at Rancourt
- Ride from Albert to Chateau Querrieu where Rawlinson had his Battle Headquarters.
- Visit to the Peronne Museum of the Battle of the Somme and Great War
- Visit to the Albert Museum of the Great War
- Evening Sunset Ride to Thiepval and Pozieres Windmill
- Attend at the Lochnagar Crater at 07:28 to commemorate 99 years since its detonation. Lay poppy crosses, if desired.
- Ride to Fricourt, Mametz, Montauban, Dantzig Alley, Ovillers, Thiepval and the Ulster Tower. Visits to each to lay poppy crosses, if desired. Extended morning visit to Thiepval Memorial to the Missing on the Somme.
- Afternoon ride to Newfoundland Memorial Park and the Hawthorn Ridge, Y Ravine and Serre
- Evening visit (TBC) – sites may include Fromelles, Villiers-Bretonneux or the Butte de Warlencourt
- Switch Line from Pozieres to Longueval
- Bazentin-Le-Petit, Mametz Wood, Caterpillar Valley, Kiwi Memorial, Longueval village, Delville Wood, Trones Wood, Bernafay Wood, Ginchy, Guillemont, High Wood and Martinpuich
- Flers/Courcelette and the third defensive line.
- Late afternoon optional ride to Villiers-Brettonneux and Neuve Chappelle
- Ride to northern Somme through Serre, Gommecourt and then on to Bapaume
- Return along the line of the Western Front towards Lille and Armentieres
- Early afternoon ferry at Calais